Temporary Residence Permit for Studies
Starting from 1.06.2017, people must reserve a time to apply for a residence permit or extension of residence permit from Police and Border Guard Board (PBGB) Service Office. Reservation can be done by phone +372 612 3000 or through PBGB webpage.
Students for Bachelor's, Master’s and PhD studies:
Are highly recommended to apply for the TRP for the duration of studies in the nearest Estonian Embassy, however, if time is of the essence and there is less than 3 months left, then following options are available:
1) Travel to Estonia with a Long-stay (D) visa and collect already applied TRP in Estonia.
2) Travel to Estonia with Long-stay (D) visa and upon arrival to Estonia, apply for the TRP at the Police and Border Guard Board.
Tallinn University of Technology strongly recommends to apply for the TRP before arriving to Estonia in order to make sure that you receive it at the earliest opportunity. Owning TRP grants an access to open local bank account free of charge, use public transportation free of charge, apply for scholarhips via Study Info System (ÕIS), etc.
Please see more information about the Long-stay (D) visa below.
Temporary Residence Permit for Studies is issued for the duration of nominal studies (bachelor 3 years and master 2 years).
Please schedule a date and time for your interview in the nearest Estonian Embassy. You will need the following documents:
- Confirmation of Enrollment letter (invitation by educational institution or student organisation). This document is sent to the Police and Border Guard Board by the University.
- Data of close relative and family members
- A document certifying the payment of the state fee
- An identity document
- 1 colour photo of 40x50 mm
An application for temporary residence permit to be filled in on screen and printed out (please see instructions here)
By signing the application you confirm that the copy appended to the application complies with the original document, it does not contain false data and it has not been forged and
Information is also available on the Police and Border Guard Board web site
- For the application you need to choose a Service Office of the Citizenship and Migration Bureau (Please do not forget to mark the corresponding office code which you can find below from the additional information) or a foreign representation of Estonia where you will be receiving your TRP card. If you change your mind about the location, you may be charged an additional state fee of 50 euros.
- A temporary residence permit for study shall be issued for covering the full-time curriculum of the university. (Aliens Act, § 162. Requirements for educational institution and voluntary service, subsection 2).
If you will be picking up your TRP in Estonia, there are two service points in Tallinn. The A.H.Tammsaare service point is the most convenient for TTÜ students.
A.H.Tammsaare service point (Office code 783)
A. H. Tammsaare tee 47, 11316 Tallinn
Reception hours: Mon-Fri 9.00-17.00
Phone: +372 612 3000
P. Pinna service point (Office code 717)
P.Pinna 4, 13619 Tallinn
Reception hours: Mon-Fri 9.00-18.00
Phone: +372 612 3000
*PS! All service points are closed on the last Friday of every month.
The nearest service point to Tallinn University of Technology is A. H. Tammsaare Service Point. Please see video tutorial about the route to A. H. Tammsaare service point.
- Please register your place of stay with the District Government Office. Take along your rental agreement and TRP card.
- If the address of stay changes, the new address has to be registered with the City District Government Office within 30 days.
- There are 9 District Government Offices in Tallinn. Students who reside in Akadeemia tee dormitories must visit Mustamäe District Government Office and students residing in Siidisaba dormitories must go to Kristiine District Government Office.
Mustamäe District Government Office
Tammsaare tee 135
Phone +372 645 7511
E-mail: mustamae at tallinn dot ee
Kristiine District Government Office
Phone +372 645 7100
E-mail: kristiine at tallinnlv dot ee
- Once you have received Temporary Residence Permit for Studies (TRP), kindly visit Tallinn University of Technology Study Consultant to present a copy of your TRP Card. On the TRP card, there is a unique identification code which must be inserted to Study Info System (ÕIS).
- Enables to apply for scholarhips available in ÕIS (Study Info System)
- Access all the services available in the portal eesti.ee
First year degree students are required to present a copy of the health insurance to the International Recruitment and Admissions Division located U05-303 (Ehitajate tee 5).
Types of visas
Long-stay (D) visa for up to 6 months for Non-EU citizens
- Is possible to apply for a number of reasons such as study, work or family relations, but only if planned stay in Estonia is up to 6 months (then TRP is not required).
- All degree students can apply for the Long-stay (D) visa in nearest Estonian Embassy, if time is of the essence and there is less than 3 months left for arriving to Estonia, however it is still required to apply for Temporary Residence Permit for Studies as Long-stay (D) visa cannot be extended. Receiving a Long-stay (D) visa takes approximately 2 weeks.
A long-stay visa can be applied in person only at the Estonian Embassies.
Visa free entry
Citizens of one of the following countries can enter the Schengen area visa-free for the maximum period of 90 days in any 180 days period:
Albania*, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belau, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of China, Israel, Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region of China, Macedonia*, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova*, Monaco, Montenegro*, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Serbia*, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, , Taiwan**, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela
* Only for the biometrical passports holders
** Passports issued by Taiwan which include an identity card number
- Citizens from these countries have the right to enter the Schengen area visa-free, but as the degree studies period is longer than 90 days, the Tallinn University of Technology strongly recommends applying for Long-stay (D) visa or Temporary Residence Permit at the nearest Estonian Embassy and entering Estonia either with Long-stay (D) visa or Temporary Residence Permit.
Degree students, whose study period is longer than three months are not advised to enter Estonia visa free, as it is not in accordance with the laws and regulations of visa-free travelling and it may cause problems when reaching the first Schengen area country.