Exhibition “Our reading material 100 years ago”
- Time:23.10.19 - 31.12.19
- Place: TalTech Library
- Contact 3554
Exhibition “Our reading material 100 years ago” is dedicated to the 100th anniversary of Tallinn University of Technology Library and is open for visitors in the library’s 2nd floor reading area.
The day when the Estonian Engineering Society began providing special engineering courses on 17 September 1918 also marks the day when Tallinn University of Technology was established. The budget of those special courses included expenses for the library, but the continuous expansion of the library’s collection started next year when the special engineering courses were renamed Tallinn College of Engineering. The first records about acquiring books were made in the accession book of the college library on 11 December 1919 – the date is now regarded as the foundation date of our library.
The lack of study material in Estonian urged the library to acquire books in foreign languages. Only one book of all the books added to the library’s collection in 1919 is on display at the current exhibition: Friedrich Autenheimer’s Elementarbuch der Differential- und Integralrechnung: mit zahlreichen Anwendungen aus der Analysis, Geometrie, Mechanik und Physik für Höhere Lehranstalten und den Selbstunterricht (Leipzig, 1910). The accession records of Tallinn College of Engineering Library show that the book was added to the library’s collection on 17 December 1919 and it is known to be the only book that has been in the library for 100 years.
Another book acquired for the library in the early days is Wilhelm Jaeger’s Elektrische Messtechnik: Theorie und Praxis der elektrischen und magnetischen Messungen (Leipzig, 1917), which was added to the collection on 22 December 1920. It was removed from the library’s collection on 31 March 1951 by the order of Glavlit and sent to the “closed” fund of the library of the Academy of Sciences of the Estonian SSR. The book was returned to our library in the 90s. There are quite a lot of books that have been lost and then returned again. It can be seen from the numerous library stamps on the books’ title pages. Several circumstances have forced the library to donate tens of thousands of books to schools or to remove them from the collection. A great deal of damage was done with “cleansing” the library collections that was carried out by the Soviet authorities.
The purpose of the exhibition is to give an overview of the books that were available for our predecessors to read 100 years ago. We are also commemorating the historical setting, cultural icons and important events of that time.
The exhibition was compiled by Taimi Nurmiste and designed by Tiia Eikholm.